Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Work Life Balance




As a recruiter, I ask candidates each day why they would consider a new career opportunity. I frequently hear a response somewhere along the lines of them seeking more work life balance.

It is something that had started to intrigue me as that balance looks differently for everyone. Are you looking for 50/50, 70/30? What does balance look like to you? Are you trying to make your kids’ weekly soccer games or looking for 3 months of vacation in a year?

I recently read an interview on The Everygirl with Ann Shoket who is the editor in chief of Seventeen Magazine. When asked the question about how she balances her professional career with “me” time she said “There is no thing such as balance. You have to embrace the mess.”

Let me say, I LOVED this! I too was in search of this golden ratio that would lead to the perfect work/life balance. I was seeking something that had me creating separations from my work and personal life. After much pondering, I have decided to give up on the hunt for the golden ratio and embrace the mess.

I find it to be more important to focus on work life integration. We spend more time at work than we do at home and it is a large part of who we are. So much of our identity is shaped by what we do with our careers. Why are so many of us seeking the separation of the two identities?

Maybe I am biased because I love the people I work with and the work that I do, but I fully support the integration of my personal and professional lives. What are your thoughts? Do you embrace the mess? I would love to discuss. 

xoxo,

Danielle

1 comment:

  1. Work life balance is a concept including proper prioritizing between "work" (career and ambition) and "lifestyle".

    ReplyDelete