Friday, August 15, 2014

Gratitude Challenge

My mom challenged me in a Facebook post to list 15 things that I am thankful for. Instead of sharing it as a status, I thought I would do a blog post.


1. Henry
This little man is my other half and my constant companion. For the past five years, he has kept me company through so many highs and lows. I love him more than I than I thought you could possibly love someone and am thankful for his unconditional love in my life. Although, I do wish he was a bit better about sharing the bed.

2. Mom
My mom is my best friend and I am so thankful she raised me to be the woman I am today.  I thank her for letting me call her excessively and tell her every minute detail of each day. She is an amazing role model and I hope to one day be half the woman that she is.

3. Dad
For anyone who really knows me, you know that I am my father's child. I am grateful for his sense of humor and competitiveness, which I inherited.  He has taught me how to be a fighter and believe in myself and he always there to help me navigate any circumstance.

4. Friends
As the years go on, this list seems to dwindle but I am so thankful for those who I can call my friend. While some of you have been around for 15+ years and others are newer, you have each shaped me in unimaginable ways. You are all so different than myself in many ways and I am so thankful for your support in everything that I do.

5. My Former Students
Throughout my time as a teacher, people continuously told me what an impact I was making on my student's lives. While, I hope to have impacted in some small positive way, they changed my life in more ways than I ever anticipated. They taught me patience and understanding, perseverance and tenacity. They inspire me each day to live for more than myself.

6. My Faith
My faith is something that I do not like to openly talk about because it is so deeply personal to me, but I am beyond thankful to have someone stand with me and guide my life each day.

7. My Job
While I may struggle getting out of bed each day, I am so thankful to come to a place where I am surrounded by genuine people who have compassion for others and encourage me to be better and do more each day. Being a positive, collaborative work environment effects your overall well being and I am grateful for my team.

8. My Education
I am so fortunate that as a young woman, I have been able to attend school my entire life and pursue my passions. So many do not have access to quality education and I am proud of myself for the education I have attained and my commitment to helping young girls obtain an education around the world.

9. Independence
As an only child, I have always been independent, almost to a fault. I am proud that I am able to provide for myself (and Henry.) Living on my own is not always the easiest option (especially for the bank account) but I have been able to learn so much about myself and grow in confidence and for this, I am thankful.

10. My Time Spent in the Classroom
My two years of teaching were definitely a roller coaster ride of highs and lows. Despite the challenges, so much of my experiences from those two years shaped my character and establish myself as who I am today.

11. Running
It's easy to take a gift such as running for granted and I am so thankful that I have sweet Malachi to encourage me to run and live each day!

12. A Warm Chocolate Chip Cookie
This may be my favorite thing in the world and while I have limited my intake (thanks aging body) there is still nothing sweeter than a perfectly made chocolate chip cookie.

13. Oreos
I'm not sure who made Oreos but my life would not be the same without them.

14. Birthday Cake
With Birthday cake comes a celebration and for that, I am grateful!

15. Champagne
Life is a little bubbly at times, but I am so thankful for the journey!

Happy Weekend!

xoxo,

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment