Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Home For The Holidays



As I become older, there is something so sweet about coming home for the holidays. Yes, I went a bit overboard on my decor in my apartment in Charlotte. With the amount of pine in my apartment currently, I am considering naming it a national forest. Even if I outsourced the decor to Buddy the Elf, nothing quite beats coming home to Florida for the holidays.

While I don't expect to wake up to a snow covered lawn and the only yule log I'll see will be from On Demand, I am happy to be here for Christmas. Something happens to me as I cross the bridge over the St Johns River to my home. I revert back to a former childlike state and become incompetent. I can't do anything without my Mom and Dads help. Mom irons my clothes (this is something I can't do even on my own so its really the only time things are pressed without being singed), straightens my hair, and becomes my own personal nurse for whatever ailment I seem to be experiencing. I suddenly become dependent on my Dad and am unable to figure anything without his assistance.

I love the time I get to spend with some of my oldest friends. I have a few friend's I've known for more than fifteen years (kind of crazy to think about) but so incredibly special. We've all taken different paths but I am so thankful to have remained close to each of them. I love getting together and catching up on their husbands, boyfriends, dogs, and babies. I'm still in awe that the little girl I used to play dolls with is now a mother to two beautiful children. I have videos of us in middle school  dressed up in old communion dresses and our Dad's blazers to play wedding and now some of them are married. In real life. This is the rare time of the year when I am able to see each of them and I am so happy to have each of them in my life.

My family is pretty small (Leach, party of 3) which is pretty nice. Less chaos. Less travel. We have plans to drink a nice bottle of wine I picked up for my Dad while in Napa and I am really looking forward to drinking it.

While the presents under the tree are pilled high and I certainly sent out a few requests for my Christmas list, this time at home with my family, friends, and pups means more to me than any gift under the tree. I hope everyone enjoys their presents and that each of you find exactly what you asked for wrapped in a big bow. But more importantly, I hope you value this time where the world seems to slow. Stores close. There's no work. As you go outside, take in the calmness and quiet of the air.  The hustle and bustle of our ordinary lives ceases for this one day. Take the time to unplug. Spend less time on social media and enjoy the company that surrounds you. I know I will certainly be doing my best.

I want to wish each of you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

Happy Birthday Jesus!

xoxo,

Danielle



2 comments: