Monday, January 19, 2015

Being Happy


I've been a fan of Charm and Gumption for probably over a year now and have loved keeping up with the shop to see how much it continues to grow!  All of Holly's designs and creative gifts are on-point with my mindset and I think I have about half of her prints on my desk. I saw this post on Instagram over the weekend and actually stopped what I was doing and stood still because this exactly how I feel right now and what I have been telling myself I need to work on. 

I've always been a goal oriented person. I have big goals & small goals. Long term goals & short term goals. This is great way to be and I absolutely love being motivated my goals. But because I always have something I am working towards, I never feel fulfilled and capable of being truly happy in the present moment. For years, I've told myself I will be happy when I get an apartment on my own, when I get a new job, when I start saving money, when I lose the twenty five pounds I've put on over the past year and a half, when I start running half marathons again, when I get my pace back down to eight minute miles, when I move to a new city, when I start my college program, when I am in a relationship, when personal family drama comes to a conclusion, when I take a trip I've always wanted to, when I stop picking my nails, when I take the time to learn a new language, when I can afford to buy those shoes I've always wanted, and the list goes on. 

Even when I've accomplished some of these goals, I do not allow myself to be truly happy because there is still so much that I am working to achieve. I've realized this recently (with some professional help) that I have an obsession with lists and goals and accomplishing them so much that I all too often forget to be happy with where I am. I don't celebrate my small (and large) successes and triumphs along the way, because I am to focused on the "I will be happy when..." 

I know for 2015 I am focusing on self discipline but I also need to focus on being happy with what I have, while working for what I want. 

Thanks Charm and Gumption for the sweet, needed reminder. 

xoxo,

Danielle

8 comments:

  1. such an important sentiment, but not always easy to remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sienna. I know, I made it the background on my phone so I am consistently reminded.

      Delete
  2. Love this mantra! It definitely helps put things in perspective when you're working towards your goals. :)

    xo Jen
    Skirt The Rules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! When you are goal driven like us, sometimes you need a reminder!

      Delete
  3. such an important sentiment, but not always easy to remember!
    ------------------------------
    Nạp Tiền ViettelThẻ Điện Thoại với các loại Mua Card Online

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So difficult to remember! Glad we can all work on it together!

      Delete
  4. thank you so much for all of your support!! - Holly (Charm & Gumption) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Holly, for all of the motivation!

      Delete