Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Self Discipline


I never make New Year's Resolutions, mostly because I know I won't stick with me past like a day. Remember that time I was doing to do 1,000 sit-ups a day just like Britney Spears? Or the year I was going to write in my journal every single day? Or that time I vowed to read one new book a week? HA! Pretty sure none of these made it past day one.

I love the idea of New Year's Resolutions, setting goals for yourself and working towards achieving them throughout the year. It's not that I am goal-less, I am constantly setting goals for myself both personally and professionally and mapping out paths for myself to get there.

In lieu of a resolution, I have decided to make 2015 the year I focus on my self discipline. If someone is holding me accountable, I can do anything, but as soon as I only have to answer to myself, nothing happens. Why is that? Shouldn't I value myself more than others? Shouldn't I be working towards satisfying myself everyday? Well, thats my new plan.

As part of this 2015 focus on self discipline, I am going to focus on my health and my finances. Both of these are two areas of weakness. Sure, I don't need an entire bag of Oreos and I was full after one sleeve, but I keep eating them anyways. Yes, I am full from my burger with onions, pimento cheese, bbq sauce, and onion brings but please bring me a large cookies and cream milkshake to go! I tell myself I can't wait to wake up at 5:30 AM to go run and then when that alarm goes off, I simply snooze past even my regular time. I've joined yoga studios, barre studios, and signed up for too many half marathons but still find reasons not to go. For my finances, I tell myself no shopping this month. Except, these shoes were on sale. I tell myself I am going to save and then order out for every meal for both lunch and dinner. I start to save a little bit and then realize I have enough for an impromptu trip to see a friend.

Not that I don't want to ever enjoy an Oreo, press snooze, or splurge again, but I need to be more disciplined instead of constantly rewarding myself. While in Africa, when I was tempted to check social media, one of the girls said to me "to treat yourself, is to only cheat yourself." As simple as it sounds, it stuck.

Here's to a year of focus on self discipline that will last past 2015.

xoxo,

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment