Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Recently

For the first time in a while, it's been more than a week since I've done a post. The past week was overwhelming and I definitely over extended myself in a few places but the good news is, it's done, and now I am in bed by 8:00 on a Monday night! I thought I would share a few things I've been thinking about this past week before returning to my regularly scheduled blog posting.

College Enrollment
May 1st was the official deadline for enrollment into accepted colleges. Despite the eighteen months of planning, there was so much that happened in the past week. All of my girls had been accepted into one of their top three schools (YAY!) but I started doubting my work as I felt like I had lead them down a potentially dangerous path of student loans that they don't qualify for and student loan debt that could costs more than a house so that when they do graduate from college in four years (because, they WILL beat the statistics) they can't afford to live on their own or buy a car or pay for emergency health trips or splurge on Tory Burch shoes they've always wanted because all of their paycheck is going to student loans for 20 years. This may all be slightly exaggerated, but I was a basket case. The good news is, I think we have a plan for each of them, and my commitment doesn't stop when they graduate high school, so I will continue to work with them and ensure their success.

Baltimore
I'm not one to usually share my thoughts and opinions but I had a really hard time with this one. I saw the numerous peaceful protestors for days with minimal coverage and then non-stop coverage when a small group turned violent. I would scroll through social media and read the mixed emotions of comments from support to disgust. For too long, I took for granted race relations in America and made the assumption that we were all always treated equal because, it was all I had ever known. I really enjoyed this article and encourage others to simply take the time to read and listen to the pleas before making judgement and assumptions.

Giving Up $95,000 Job to Move to an Island
I read this article over the weekend and have been thinking so much about it. I've seen my peers get caught up in the hustle of accomplishing life, that they aren't really living it. Now, I would never do well with a chicken in my bathroom and I am partially allergic to the sun, so I don't expect myself to quit my job and move to a tropical island but it is something to chew on. I spend a lot of time on the phone with candidates during the day and part of my process is to ask why they are considering new opportunities. Most of the responses revolve around unhappiness (want a promotion, long commute, lack of leadership, etc..) What if we all did things that made us truly happy? I am too much of an introvert to scoop ice cream and socialize all day, but if that is what inspires you, why not? Which leads me too...

Motivation
I've been thinking about motivation a lot recently, mostly related to the students. I've been reading how students who are intrinsically motivated are more likely to persist in college as opposed to those who are motivated by external rewards which is ironic because a lot of the time we encourage success with rewards (name on the board, sticker, special lunches, dress down days, etc..) That's a completely different post entirely but it has me thinking about my own  motivation. I know a did a post last summer, where I shared that I was motivated by words of affirmation but I think that's just part of it. I think there's an intricate balance of external and internal motivation and because I have an obsession with being self aware, I am in desperate search of figuring out what that balance is for me.

Providence
I left Thursday night for Providence and had the best weekend with Sam. Aside from obsessively waiting for a peak at the princess, I didn't worry too much about capturing every moment in a picture. For once, I tried to be more present. I did pick out a few potential mansions I would be interested in calling my residence in Newport if someone wanted to purchase for me. I posted a few snaps on Instagram so I guess you'll just have to venture there.

HRH, Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana


Last, but certainly not least, I just had to make sure you read till the end, we have a new princess! I really don't care about any celebrity, except the Duchess of Cambridge and Will and George (and now Charlotte) but they are more than celebrities, they are royals. I just knew the baby was going to be a girl. I had analyzed all of these photos from Kate's pregnancy with George to her second pregnancy and her face was significantly rounder so I just knew, it had to be a girl. If I was the betting kind, I would have placed a bet on it.  On Saturday, I don't think I've ever been so happy to awake before 8:00 AM on a weekend in my life! I knew Kate was going to leave that day. She does't love all of the hype of the media and she's just the type to leave the hospital looking gorgeous less than twelve hours after giving birth. Will's arrival with George was simply precious and I may have teared up a tiny bit. I think I spent the rest of the way waiting and waiting until they left so I could see the first glimpse of the little angel. After a few squeals on the Cliff Walk in Newport around 1:30 PM when I first saw laid eyes on that sweet face, I took my guess at her name, Charlotte Elizabeth Frances and was happy that I was only one name off. I went with Diana's middle name, Frances, as a personal favorite but after sharing realized I was in the minority with my fondness for the name Frances for a girl. (Dear feature children, I'm sorry.) I'm sure they will be off to their country home soon, but I simply cannot contain my excitement as I eagerly wait for the first family photo!


xoxo,

Danielle






No comments:

Post a Comment