Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Perspective

I've never been one for comparing emotions. Yes, I am hungry and I am aware of the fact that there are staving members of my human family around the world, but that fact does not negate that at the given moment, I am feeling hungry. Sometimes, I am sad. I realize that there is someone somewhere who just had their life turned upside down, but again, that does not alleviate my feelings of sadness at that given time. It's ok, to have these moments of emotions and feel them, without wondering how they are relative to someone else.

That said, sometimes, I realize how trivial my emotions can be. I recently had a text conversation with a friend about how precious each moment of our lives are and how we should savor every opportunity, even the ones that may not seem so glamorous. Somedays, I am too exhausted to play with Henry and his stuffed animals, but I am incredibly thankful that I have him to come home to and I will gladly will play with each of his slobbery teddy bears. After a long day, it may be stressful to worry about providing dinner for your family, but be thankful you have a family to provide for.  I don't like driving in a car for six hours, but I am thankful I have a family I can drive six hours (or hop on a plane) to see.

My intention is not to minimize your emotions because we all have them and they are powerful and relative to our own experiences. I find calmness in stopping to my remind myself that as much as I don't want to, I am thankful I have a house to clean. While the decision between the pink or blue skirt may seem overwhelming at 7:15 when in the morning when I am running late to work, I am thankful I have more clothes than I could ever possibly need. Some nights it really is difficult for me to decide what to watch on Netflix as I fall asleep, but I am thankful I have the luxury of watching my favorite TV shows repeatedly. You could easily compare your life to others and realize that there is always someone, somewhere in the world, who has it slightly worse than you do, but it's also OK to acknowledge your emotions, however trivial they may be, and then be grateful for the opportunities before you.

xoxo,

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment