Sunday, November 1, 2015

Present

"I don't want to get to the end and realize that my life is a collection of meetings and errands and receipts and dirty dishes." - Shauna Niequist

One of my dearest friends sent me Savor this year for my birthday. I was a bit apprehensive as I don't have the best track record with daily devotions or journaling. I did my best to read consistently through October (there were a few nights where I had to read multiple days) and I'm loving how refreshed I feel. Even though it brought along fall and candy corn, October is always one of the longest months.

While I love my new position and living in New York City, I was moving at a pace that was a bit unsustainable which is not who I want to be. There were days, even weeks, where I felt like a collection of emails, posts, learning, budgets, and subways rides. My outreach to those I love had become targeted and purposeful and less authentic at times as I felt like I was trying to force being present when really I just needed to make time for me.

I wasn't savoring the moments and found myself starting to feel unhappy. Through reading Savor, I've become reconnected with what version of myself I most want to be. I've missed a few deadlines and realized that the world keeps spinning. I've gained a few pounds but I loved the moments of sharing meals with friends so I can't beat myself up over the gain. The apartment has been a mess, but I've loved my time reading each night.

While life does not have a pause moment, I want to be more mindful of pausing myself and enjoying the moments that create my life.


With gratitude,

Danielle

P.S. I recently purchased myself a DSLR camera and I kind of love it. I started carrying a larger bag so I can always have on me. As of now, my main subjects are Henry and leaves but I'm sure I'll be progressing soon. Stay tuned. 

1 comment:

  1. I feel you on this one - I'm in a new job position as well and October flew by with how busy it was. I was really trying to take moments in between being busy to enjoy the season, but it's really hard to stop and smell the roses when there isn't any time to. Hope your November is off to a great start - and yay for your new camera! I know when I got my DSLR it helped me fall in love with photography!

    ReplyDelete