Sunday, June 11, 2017

New York, New York

"If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere. It's up to you, New York, New York." When I was younger, I dreamed of living in New York City. When I was dropped off from school, I'd quickly turn on TRL and eagerly await for the shots of Times Square bustling with people underneath the glowing lights. My favorite TV shows, Friends and Gossip Girl, and favorite movie, You've Got Mail, are all set in New York. ShopGirl and NY152 definitely played a role in my attraction to living on the Upper West Side. And being the overachiever, type A personality that I am, I definitely believed in Sinatra that if I could make it here, I could make it anywhere.

Now, after two years of residency in NYC, I'd be willing move to a farm in rural America. Though, I'm not too sure how much help I'd be with the manual labor aspect of farm living and I'd certainly crave Starbucks and Whole Foods. Anyways ... Yes, New York was tough and far more difficult than I anticipated but I like to think that I made it here. That I'm not 100% defeated by this city and that I could continue to preserve if I wanted to. But, I don't have to and I'm so happy about moving to Nashville and progressing at a different pace.

I'm not a huge fan of life plans (day to day details, yes) but when I moved here, I anticipated staying longer. I remember during those first few months, I loved the diversity, the challenge, and the magic that is New York City. Even when I applied to grad school, I wasn't 100% sure I was ready to leave and thought that IF I was admitted, I could always defer. But from the moment that I received my acceptance, I knew, it was time to move on to the next chapter. Part of me wanted to stay and stick to my plan that I had created for myself but I knew I had to throw off my plan and listen to become who God was calling me to be. I feel good about Nashville. Better than I ever did about NYC and am excited (yet also a little anxious) about this upcoming transition.

I like to think that now, Manhattan is part of me just like Charlotte and Clemson and Mississippi and Montana. This city has played a role in shaping me to be who I am and for that, I'm grateful. As I prepare for this next chapter of my life, I wanted to capture what I love about New York City so I asked my friend, Margot, to take pictures of me and Henry in some of my favorite spots in Central Park. When I think of New York as home, I think of Central Park. I think of my walks with Henry every morning - espeically those in the deep winter when its still dark outside and we are both bundled in puffy coats. I think of training for the New York City Marathon where I would run in the park for 18 miles and though I was physically tired, my mind never stopped absorbing the beauty of Central Park. I think of all of the days where I didn't want to spend money so Henry and I would just grab a blanket and lay in the park and read and chew on sticks for hours. And all of the friends who have visited and journeyed with me on long walks through Central Park on our way to the Met. It's definitely where I've spent the most time and certainly home to me. Here are a few of my favorite snaps from Central Park with Henry and yes, I'll be recycling these on Instagram for weeks to come.







xoxo,

Danielle








No comments:

Post a Comment